Friday, April 15, 2011

Should I or Shouldn't I? A Beadmaking Tutorial Conundrum

So for the last few weeks, I have been tossing around the idea of doing another glass beadmaking tutorial.  I want to possible continue the Glass Color Families series and do maybe greens or purples.  Please bear with me while I do some "out loud" thinking on this idea.

Now, another color tutorial may sound like a fabulous idea at first, but I think a few things need to be considered before I decide to do it.

First, have you all been kind of inundated with too many tutorials these past couple of years?  Would one more just be too much?  After all - each tutorial costs somewhere between $10 and $25, and who can afford the zillion that are out there?

On the other hand, several people have suggested that they would like more color-specific tutorials, so maybe I am off base there.

Secondly, I already have a color blog - would a tutorial that costs money be a little overkill?  When I did the other Color Families tutorials (Browns and Pinks) I hadn't done a whole lot of blogging on specific color groups yet.  But now there are a whole lot of posts here on different glass colors.

On the other hand, I haven't covered every purple or every green out there (nor would I be able to, even in a tutorial - I can only cover what I have experienced), so there might be ample information to cover in a tutorial.  And my tutorials are a lot more detailed, with a lot more pics, than my blog posts are.

Finally, are people less interested in tutorials due to market saturation than they are in my actual beads, or is it the other way around?  To be honest, it's not easy to answer this question.  I sell some of both.  The economy may play more of a part in the demand for my work than actual interest does. 

So......the only solution is to ask you, dear visitors, what you think.  Would you be interested in a color-based tutorial?  Or is there some technique of mine you would be more interested in learning about? 

Would you rather see me focus on more beadmaking?  Although I have to admit that my beadmaking mojo has been severely lacking as of late, so there have been fewer beads available.

Do you already have some of my tutorials, and can you comment on their value?  I would love to know what you all think.  All suggestions, comments and questions are welcome.  Except for spam, of course. That will be summarily zapped.  :)