Friday, October 16, 2009

Glass Testing: CiM 788 Mink

I really want to like this color. Seriously, because I generally love any shade of brown! However, CiM's opal Mink just does not do it for me.

How, this kind of criticism is not meant to state that this color is bad for anyone who works with glass....it's not. It's a relatively stable, easy to work with color that is fine for anyone who likes to work with translucent glass. I'm just not one of those people.

If this color were opaque, I might like it. But the translucency makes it look slimy and kind of puts me in mind of slugs or snails. Now, being from the Pacific Northwest, you'd think I would love slugs! But, no. Ew. So there's an ick factor with this color that makes me really not want to use it in any bead I would make.

Now, I did see a horse bead on CiM's site made with this color and it's actually not bad looking. Still a bit on the slimy side, but if you're into making sculptural beads or organics, this might be the glass for you.


Some of CiM's opal colors do go opaque in the kiln, but this isn't one of them. It stays a dark, translucent brownish grey.

I will say that I found the glass itself to be easy to melt and easy to work with, so that's a plus!

3 comments:

  1. That's ok, Kandice, I'm one of those translucent lovers...and this shade intrigues me! :-) Thank you for sharing your testing results, I'll pick up this color with my next glass shopping spree!

    Yay for snails! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, your description of this color has captured my attention. It sounds like a deep taupe. I love the vague, 'in-between' colors. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Kandice, it does look kinda slimy. I think it looks like something less appealing than a slug (which I won't mention here). I think the dark color on the top of your swatch would look great if opaque

    ReplyDelete