Friday, August 15, 2014

CiM Glass Testing: 212 Tiger Lily Ltd. Run

When I got the new batch of CiM colors, Tiger Lily was the first rod I pulled for testing. Sadly, I got kind of frustrated with it, so I set is aside for a little while.  I revisted the color last week and here's what came of it.


Tiger Lily appears in rod form as a saturated bright orange opaque.  The rod is gorgeous, so I had high expectations for this glass. The color of the rod is a brighter, more vivid shade than CiM Sunset, but not quite as bright as CiM Clockwork.

The first thing I noticed is that in wrapping spacers, the orange kind of separates and striates, and loses most of the density.  It's not necessarily as opaline as the actual CiM Opal colors, but it does lose some opacity.  It also darkens a little when not covered with encasing.

Tiger Lily is slightly stiff but not too bad, and doesn't bleed or spread out, which is nice.

Unfortunately, as you can see in the beads below, Tiger Lily does not layer without showing some of the color underneath it.  So I can't call it an actual opaque color. The CiM website does call it a transparent orange, but it's not that either. In fact, it was strangely easy to make encased stringer that stayed reasonably opaque when used.  However, when making floral petals, you can see through parts of them to the base bead.  And when making stripes, you can clearly see black through the orange. Dots of Tiger Lily on clear didn't stay completely opaque.

CiM Tiger Lily with CiM Adamantium, along with black and clear.
This color confounds me, but I am certain that there are people who will love the way it works out - and can use that to their advantage.  I just personally prefer opaques that stay opaque and transparents that stay transparent.  Call me picky!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment